Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti urged his players to overcome the defeat against West Ham so that they can focus on the upcoming matches with greater confidence. After wins over the likes of Leicester, Chelsea, and Arsenal in the last month, Everton had a disappointing start to the New Year after the 1-0 home loss at the hands of West Ham. The defeat has once again raised concerns that the club may go on a poor just as they did back in October. Despite starting the season well, Everton find themselves outside the top four largely due to the mid-October form when the team only managed one victory in seven games.
Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti has disclosed that back-up goalkeeper Robin Olsen should be back from injury in time for the next game, a league outing at home to title contenders Chelsea. 2,000 fans are expected to return to Goodison Park for the first time in almost a year to witness the Toffees take on Chelsea in one of the standout games on matchday twelve in the Premier League. Chelsea have been elevated to title contenders following an impressive run of four wins and one draw from the last five league outings.
On Olsen, Ancelotti told reporters in his post-match press conference after the Burnley game on Saturday afternoon that the Swedish international should be fit for the visit of Chelsea after missing the last two games. In his absence, former Huddersfield Town shot stopper Jonas Lossl has been the back-up goalkeeper to first choice Jordan Pickford in the last Premier League matches at home to newcomers Leeds United and away to Burnley. The goalkeeping department at Everton has its hierarchy with Pickford clearly the undisputed number one, while Olsen and Lossl are second and third respectively. Continue Reading
Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that the club’s current formation is dictated not by tactics but by the amount of injuries in the squad. The recent loss against Leeds United saw Everton going with a different formation of 3-4-3. The lack of central defenders was one of the key factors behind this decision, according to Liverpool. The three defenders at the back featured Lucas Digne and fullbacks Coleman. There is no direct relationship but Everton have been unable to get a lot of success in recent weeks. The Merseyside outfit have seen just one win in the last six league outings.
Now, Ancelotti says that the emergency crisis with regards to the injury has forced him to play the different formation rather than tactics. He has suggested that Everton are likely to stick with the same 3-4-3 formation. The formation turns out to be quite flexible to accommodate a team that is thin in terms of resources. In the match against Leeds, Everton were deploying Alex Iwobi and Tom Davis as a wingback in order to counter for the lack of players. Ancelotti remains determined that the club will be able to see out this difficult period.
Everton have been boosted by the return of star forward Richarlison from suspension ahead of the next set of Premier League fixtures. Richarlison has missed the last three games in the English topflight as a result of the red cardthat he received in the Merseyside Derby in October.
Brazilian international Richarlison was sent off in the dying minutes of the league match between hosts Everton and Liverpool as the two teams settled for a 2-2 draw. That result halted the Toffees’ run of seven straight wins at the start of this season.Richarlison received his marching orders after a nasty tackle on Liverpool midfielder Thiago Alcantara and the Spanish international midfielder has not played for the Reds since that incident.